Monday, August 08, 2005

typhoon

I only have five minutes, but a typhoon hit Qingdao last night. It was called "mai shao." It hit land in a different city so by the time it got here it had quieted down a bit, but it still meant torrential rains and fierce winds. We were teaching when it started but got home before the worst of it, which was about 12 at night. We did get completely soaked though, even though we had umbrellas. I have to say, it was not quite as exciting as it sounded (I don't think the winds quite got to 25 mph), but it is my first typhoon. (Portland has incredibly wimpy weather in pretty much all categories). The sea is very wild still, and the beaches are closed until further notice (which should be in a couple of days). I did go yesterday morning, and alhtough there was caution tape and a sign blocking off the sea, about 25 people were still swimming.
Well, back to class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home