Tuesday, April 11, 2006

mullet X2

On Saturday, Dan decided to get his haircut, and I went along to help with translation. However, after getting to the hair dresser, I decided I would also get a trim while we were there. Before I sat down to get my hair cut, I told Dan's hair cutter to cut shorter in the back but leave it longer on the sides and front. Then, I told my hair cutter that I just wanted to keep my hair long, no layers, and to just cut a little bit. For clarity, I showed him about how much hair I wanted cut off the bottom (about half and inch). However, it seems that: no layers, just a trim must also have the meaning: I want a mullet, and could you make it feathered, please. (For those that don't know what a mullet is, it's one of those short in the front, long in the back haircuts.) On that day I didn't wear my contacts, so after I removed my glasses I really had no clue what he was doing. However, when I put my glasses back on, I saw that not only had he cut the front really short and then feathered it, with multiple cascading layers in the back, but that the two sides were completely uneven. I had one lock of hair at my chin, a good two inches shorter than the rest of my hair, and in the back he had cut a shortish top layer leaving the bottom layer almost untouched. As a recoiled in horror, he went about my head with texturizing scissors, continuing his feathering work. I had to tell him about 3 times stop, (the first two times he ignored, like basically everything else I had told him), and finally I jumped out of the chair. "I'm not done" he protested, but I told him it was fine and ran out the door. Dan also found, after putting on his glasses that the man must have thought it opposite day, because he cut it short on the sides and front and long in the back. After we went home (me muttering furiously the whole way), I had Dan cut off the back and attempt to make my haircut look somewhat normal. He was pretty successful (though I still have a hunk of hair in the front about two inches shorter than the rest). I also tried to fix the back of Dan's hair, with a bit less success (though the bald patches aren't really that noticeable from a distance). All in all though, it cements the fact that I'm not going to get another haircut in China again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh a lot. I'm sorry, though. I know the panic of taking off your glasses (back when I didn't wear contacts) and sometimes putting them back on to a terrifying haircut.

1:14 PM, April 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Britta and Dan,

I don't know whether to laugh or cry! What were they thinking!!!!

Be sure to post some pictures on your picture site!

Maybe latent hostility toward Sylvester Stallone?

Love,
Mom

7:37 AM, April 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home