Wednesday, March 15, 2006

so our updates have been a little scarce, in part because we are so busy, between threatening to sue our school, arranging a trip to Korea to change our visa, substitute teaching, studying, etc. (Luckily we don't as of now have to actually sue our school, but there is still the remote possibility). Recently, I have been subbing for a friend of mine at a kindergarten. In China, kindergarten includes preschool and day care, the youngest kids at the school couldn't be more than 1 or 2, and the oldest are about 6 or 7. I teach four classes, none lasting longer than 20 minutes. My "older" kids are maybe 4, and the younger ones are 2 or 3. When I teach them, I am not allowed to speak any Chinese, and it's amazing how good their English is, considering how young they are. Of course, they still have a long way to go. Every day I am supposed to ask them what day is it, and everyday it seems, is Monday. Likeways, the weather is always "sunny day." However, the children are incredibly cute. In one class, where the children are younger and a bit less uh, mature than the others, there is a little girl who can't weigh more than about 18 pounds, but she has as much energy as all the other children combined (which is saying something.) One day she pulled my shirt up practically over my head and yelled "white tummy!" in Chinese. In that class, when I get up to leave, about 5 children run up and cling to my legs, saying "teacher, don't leave!" in Chinese it's a nice ego boost, however it's tempered by the fact that they can't seem to tell me apart from their regular teacher. Every time I walk into the class they shout "Emma lao shi!" and it takes a lot of convincement to get them to think otherwise. I guess to them, all blonde foreign women look the same.
Besides teaching at the kindergarten, I also am studying two hours a day. My teacher is really interesting and I really like her a lot. We spend most of our time discussing current events, our lives, and differences between Chinese and American culture. For example, she was shocked by the fact that Americans would put their parents in nursing homes. Besides being negligent and disrespectful, she also pointed out that American adults have no one at home to clean house, raise their children, or cook meals everyday. I guess in China, living with one's parents means having a built in housekeeper, albeit one whoe is somewhat bossy and demanding. She also

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home