Friday, March 03, 2006

our house

I don't have much time to write, but I thought I'd just do a quick update. We have almost fully moved in, after several taxi trips with loads of stuff. Our new roommates were shocked by the amount of stuff we had, and the size of our suitcases. Luckily, they let us put one behind the couch in the living room, because otherwise space would be a little tight in our room. Our room is a decent size, though most of it is taken up by an enormous bed. We had to turn our comforter sideways to fit across the width of the bed. Besides the bed, we also have a tv and tv table, a nightstand, a small table and stool, a walk-in closet (a major plus for all of our stuff) and a private bathroom. Our roommates are a 40 something year old woman, who I call "auntie," and a 32 year old man, or "elder brother," with a somewhat ambiguous relationship to each other (lovers? friends? business partners?). They are actually quite friendly, I had dinner with one evening when I was there unpacking my things, and then my elder brother drove me back home in his Ford, or "fo te" They are both in business, and it turns out my auntie is a stock broker, or something like that. They spend much of their time at home watching news, especially financial news, and sometimes I watch it with them and they explain the most interesting things to me. Our apartment is, as I said very nice, and it's on the 17th floor, so there's a really amazing view from the balcony. It's also nice to walk out the door and be near everything, instead of having to walk for 15 minutes to get to a bus stop. Other than that, life is continuing as usual. We may have to go to Hong Kong after we quit to change our visas, but we figure there are worse things than that, because we can take advantage of the time to visit southern china and maybe go to Macau.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home