Sunday, December 11, 2005

So, I too have not fallen off the face of the planet, instead I have just been faced with a combination of computer malfunction and a lethargy that prohibits me from going to an internet cafe. And also, in the past week or so the temperature in Qingdao dropped about 20 degrees, so now it's inbetween the mid-twenties and high-thirties everyday with a fierce icy wind. Going outside is now incredibly unpleasant and I am avoiding it as much as possible. On the plus side, it is basically sunny everday, although we have had a little bit of snow, though none of it stuck.
Besides the change in weather, the other major development here is that practically every store is now decked out for Christmas, with artificial trees, tinsel, giant cardboard santa heads tacked to the windows, loudspeakers playing christmas music, etc. I think I have now heard "Santa Claus is coming to town" played in front of Popeyes every time I come into work. The ironic thing, of course, is that for all this Christmas cheer, I will actually be working six hours on christmas starting at 8:30 am and finishing at 7:30 pm (with a break in between, of course), as well as seven hours on christmas eve until 8 pm. If no one really celebrates Christmas, I kind of want to know what the point is of all the lavish Christmas decorations, though probably any occasion for people to spend more money is a good enough reason for stores to get excited. And to be honest, many places have Christmas decorations up year round, particularly cheap restaurants. Our school too, has santas on all the doors and christmas lights in the lobby year round. We went with the school to buy more christmas decorations, but as the school pointed out, we really didn't need all that much more.
Other than that, nothing terribly exciting has happened. I am sick again, though not as bad this time, and the only thing that seems to settle my stomach is Fanta and potato chips, so I am sitting at the computer guzzling my second can of Fanta. As my friend pointed out, both of them have a very high sodium content, and it could be my body's way of replacing the salt I am losing. I do find it strange that Gatorade, which is specifically designed as a rehydration drink, would still make me nauseous. Maybe if this keeps up I can get endorsements from Lays and Fanta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home